The Certificate in Piano Pedagogy is a one-year program designed for independent piano teachers who already possess a bachelor’s degree in music but don’t have the time (or resources) to pursue a graduate degree.
This certificate program provides them with the opportunity to increase their knowledge, sharpen their skills, and add to their teaching credentials.
Classes in the certificate program count towards a MM in Piano Pedagogy, allowing the student to return for an additional year to complete the master’s degree.
Students must earn a C or better in each class.
1. Application for Admission
2. Possession of a bachelor’s degree in music.
3. Two letters of recommendations from those who can attest to the application’s potential for successful graduate study.
4. Official transcripts for all post-secondary educational institutions from which the applicant has earned a degree, confirming a minimum 2.75 GPA (on a 4.0 scale).
5. A recent recital tape or an audition tape demonstration performance skill equivalent to the level of a junior performance major.
6. International Students:
a. Submit transcripts to World Education Services for evaluation and translation.
b. Take and pass the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) with a minimum score of 550 (79 internet- based). If the student does not meet the English requirement, they are required to complete the University’s ESL program before coursework can begin.