DR. J. DWAYNE HOWELL
Professor of Old Testament and Hebrew
Office Location: Druien Hall 124
Office Phone: 270.789.5039
Office Fax: 270.789-5339
Ph.D. The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary, Louisville, KY, 1993
Dissertation Title: Preaching From the David Narratives
Th.M. The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary, 1988
M.Div. The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary, 1985
B.A. Campbellsville College, 1982
Church & Community Ministry
Pastor, Rolling Fork Baptist
Church, Gleanings, KY, 2001-Present
Pastor, Pleasant Hill Baptist
Church, Campbellsville, KY 1994-98
Pastor, Locust Grove
Baptist Church, Elizabethtown, KY, 1991-92
Rolling Fork Baptist Church, Gleanings, KY, 1984-91
Interim Director of Missions, Taylor
County Baptist Association
County Baptist Association, 1997-99
Courses Taught @ CU
- Introduction to the Old Testament
- Spiritual Formations
- The Art of Reading the Bible
- Studies in the Pentateuch
- Poetic and Wisdom Literature of the Old Testament
- Studies in the Prophets
- Intertestamental Period
- Studies in Isaiah
- Selected Topics: Isaiah
- Senior Research
- Ministry of Proclamation
- Beginning Hebrew 1
- Beginning Hebrew 2
- Intermediate Hebrew 1
- Intermediate Hebrew 2
- Old Testament History and Interpretation 1
- Old Testament History and Interpretation 2
- Old Testament Prophets
- Preaching Practicum Supervisor
- Thesis Writing 1
- Thesis Writing 2
- Thesis Supervision
Upcoming & Recent Scholarly Presentations
- "Hearing the Voices of Others: A Collaborative Reading of Leviticus 19." The Society of Biblical Literature, November 2009.
- "Outfitting Biblical Hebrew for Communicative Language Learning" with Jennifer Quast of Hebrew Union College at the joint meeting of the Society of Biblical Literature and National Association of Professors of Hebrew, Boston, MA, November 2009.
- "The Book of Exodus" January Bible Study Preview, Campbellsville University, August 2008.
- "James Barr and The Scope and Authority of the Bible: A Session in Memory of James Barr," Old Testament Section, Southeast Commission on the Study of Religion, Atlanta, GA, March 2008.
- "Hearing the Voices of Others: A Collaborative Reading of Leviticus 19." The Academy of Homiletics, Minneapolis, MN, November 2007.
- "The Penitential Psalms" Breakout Session, Worship Arts Conference, Campbellsville University, March 2007.
- The Society of Biblical Literature, Chair, Homiletics and Biblical Studies Section; Steering Committee of the Old Testament Section of the Southeastern Region
- The National Association of Baptist Professors of Religions
- The Academy of Homiletics The National Association of Professors of Hebrew
Current Research Projects
- "Hearing the Voice of Others: A Collaborative Reading of Leviticus 19:33-34". This is a research project that enlist the interpretation of others of the levitical passage and its implications for preaching.
- "Communicative Hebrew Learning and Teaching (CoHeLeT)" This is an international collaborative venture funded by the Wabash Center and deals with developing the teaching of Biblical Hebrew using Second Language Acquisition pedagogy. Dates of grant are 2006-2008.
- ACA Biblical Languages Lab Project. Working with professors from The University of the Cumberlands and Bluefield College, we have developed an internet help for students in first and second year Hebrew through a grant from the Appalachian College Association. This is an ongoing project. http://religion.cumberlandcollege.edu/biblang/