Dr. Joe Early, Jr.
Assistant Professor of Theology
Office Location: Druien Hall 123
Office Phone: 270.789.5163
Office Fax: 270.789.5339
Ph.D. Southwestern Baptist
Theological Seminary (2002)
The Hayden Controversy: A Detailed Examination of the First Major
Internal Altercation of the Baptist General Convention of Texas
M. Div. Midwestern Baptist Theological
B.S. Political Science, Cumberland College (1993)
- Assistant Professor of Religion, University of the Cumberlands
- Visiting Assistant Professor of Religion / Post-Doctoral Fellow, Baylor University
- Teaching Assistant (Master’s Program), Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary
- Adjunct Professor (Masters and Diploma Program), Midwestern Baptist Theological Seminary
- Baptist History and Heritage
- East Texas Historical Association
- West Texas Historical Association
- Texas Historical Association
- Tennessee Baptist Historical Association
- American Academy of Religion
- The Building of a Church: The Centennial History of South Main Baptist Church, Houston, Texas (Waco: Terrace Publishing, 2004).
- A Texas Baptist History Sourcebook (Denton: University of North Texas Press, 2004).
- A Handbook of Texas Baptist Biography (Bloomington, IN.: Authorhouse, 2004).
- A Texas Baptist Power Struggle: The Hayden Controversy (Denton: University of North Texas Press, 2005).
- Readings in Baptist History. (Nashville: Broadman and Holman Publishing Group, 2008).
- The Life and Writings of Thomas Helwys: The First English Baptist (Macon, GA.: Mercer University Press, 2009).
- A Student’s Guide to the New Testament (Bloomington, IN.: Authorhouse, 2005).
- A Student’s Guide to the Old Testament (Bloomington, IN.: Authorhouse, 2005).
- "Tennessee Baptists and the Scopes Trial.” Tennessee Baptist Historical Society (Fall 2004).
- “Daniel Parker: Two-Seeds in the Spirit and Illinois Politics.” American Baptist Quarterly (Spring 2004).
- “Landmarkism: Tennessee Baptists’ Influence on Texas Baptists.” Tennessee Baptist Historical Journal (Fall 2004).
- “Remembering Shurtleff.” American Baptist Quarterly (Spring 2003).
- “Israel Campbell: The Father of Black Texas Baptists.” Baptist History and Heritage Journal (Fall 2004).
- “The Schism of the First Baptist Church of Dallas, 1880.” East Texas Historical Journal (Fall 2004).