Job Information and Destination Details:
JOB APPLY URL: http://tinyurl.com/afyox8y
COMPANY NAME: Dana Limited
JOB TITLE: Metallurgist
Location: Glasgow KY USA - Glasgow, KY, US - 1320 West Main
Education Required: Bachelors Degree
Experience Required: 1 - 3 Years
This position will be responsible for conducting material tests and writing reports on components submitted to the Metallurgical Laboratory primarily supporting commercial and off-highway vehicle products related to Carburizing, Neutral Hardening, Induction Hardening, Induction Normalizing, Shot Peening, and Manganese Phosphate Coating.
• Provide materials analysis related to manufacturing, product, supplier and customer concerns.
• Approve engineering/supplier sample materials per specifications and failure analysis of engineering/supplier and vehicle test components.
• Involves complete sample preparation and metallographic examination, hardness testing, chemical analysis, photo documentation, non-destructive evaluation.
• Arrange testing at outside sources as necessary.
• Interpret results, write reports and effectively communicate with others including but not limited to internal/external customers, suppliers, and Divisional Quality Engineering.
• Occasional involvement with non-ferrous materials including but not limited to coatings.
• Responsible for maintaining, calibrating and servicing Metallurgical Laboratory Testing equipment.
• Prepare standards and specifications for processes and tests.
• Responsible for developing and maintaining Process Control Plan and PFMEA that will improve productivity & customer satisfaction.
• Troubleshoot process and product for corrective action and preventive maintenance utilizing Root Cause Analysis Methods (8D).
• Evaluate new technology within carburizing, hardening, normalizing, and peening processes.
• Develops & implements continuous improvement projects involving tooling, processes and procedures to improve quality, productivity, safety (OSHA), and ergonomics.
• Responsible for implementation of capital projects and engineering projects as assigned. Appropriate planning skills should be utilized to ensure projects are completed on time & meet customer demands.
• Responsible for maintaining CQI-9 compliance in heat treat department and metallurgical lab and participate in ISO and/or ISO14001 activities in the department.
• Responsible for temperature uniformity surveys (pyrometry) in the heat treat department.
• Responsible for reviewing metallurgical and heat treat PPAPs from various suppliers.
• Assist/advise plant and divisional purchasing groups with steel selection and substitutions.
• Work with heat treat technicians in troubleshooting Carburizing and other heat treat problems as well as monitoring and assisting with Heat Treat Controls equipment.
• Other duties as assigned by supervisor.
• Serves on teams and committees as needed.
• Bachelors degree in Metallurgical Engineering or may consider equivalent education and metallurgical/materials experience.
• Two or more years manufacturing or engineering experience involving the use of steel, iron, induction hardening, and carburizing preferred.
• Knowledge of non-ferrous metals, welding, and coatings preferred.
• Must have knowledge including but not limited to hardness, tension-compression, fatigue, and corrosion testing plus chemical analysis and microscopic evaluation techniques.
• Strong interpersonal skills to work with people at all levels within and outside Dana in a professional manner and the ability to work in a team environment.
• Demonstrated computer proficiency in a Windows environment utilizing Microsoft Office, Lotus Notes, and other computer software applications.
• Good mechanical aptitude and the ability to read design prints.
• Must be capable of performing duties with limited supervision.
• Must be self-motivated and willing to accept responsibility.
• Must have good written and verbal communication and presentation skills.
• Must have strong time management and organizational skills.
• Must be able to travel occasionally.
• Must be able to occasionally work overtime during the week and on weekends when needed.
Posted on Mon, February 18, 2013
by A. Abner