Youth Minister Capital City Christian Church Frankfort, Kentucky, United StatesDate Posted: 04/03/2013 Categories: Youth Pastor Denomination: Christian Church Church Size: 501 to 750 Job Type: Full-Time Job Description:
Youth Minister Job Description
Capital City Christian Church, Frankfort, KY
About Capital City Christian Church
Capital City is a church of about 750 regular attendees. We are located in Frankfort, the capital of Kentucky, a town of about 25,000 (though the town feels larger because so many state services are headquartered here). Although our church is over 50 years old, we are deeply committed to a “missional” approach to ministry. We believe the message must never change, but the methods must be constantly tweaked to stay effectively on mission. Our worship style is contemporary, though we are serious about being multi-generational.
We recognize the extraordinary importance of our children’s and youth ministries. We also recognize the serious issues most churches have keeping their students. We don’t want to be one of those places where as students graduate from high school they also graduate from church. So our goal is to connect our students, not just with our youth group, but with God and his church. We believe some of the pieces that will help include building strong families, connecting our students with multiple Christian adults, and engaging them in service.
We also recognize that at our size we will need our youth minister to be more than a kid magnet. They will need to understand both how to grow students, and how to build a team committed to growing students. They will also need to embrace our vision, mission, and core values so our youth programs will fit seamlessly into the big picture.
Capital City is a place where God is building Christ-Driven, 24/7 Christians
Capital City is growing people who follow Jesus by (1) Worshiping God; (2) Seeking the Lost; (3) Pursuing Spiritual Growth; (4) Building Community; and (5) Showing Compassion
Our Core Values:
Empowered by God’s Spirit: (1) The Bible is Our Final Authority; (2) We Are Captivated by Grace; (3) We Are a Holy People; (4) We Are Culturally Relevant; (5) We Pursue Excellence in All Things
Final notes: We take our mission and core values very seriously. We program by, budget by, and to some degree hire by mission. Under our Mission, Worshiping and Seeking the Lost are ranked first and second intentionally. We attempt to make our worship multi-sensory and participatory, engaging those with varied “sacred pathways.” We attempt to be innovative in our programming. We value grandparents and grandkids alike in our church family, though we tend to annoy grandparents more often as we try to be effective with grandkids.
About the position
The Youth Minister will work under the direct supervision of both the Senior and Executive Pastors (depending on the issue). They will also work closely with our Children’s Pastor to ensure a smooth transition into the youth programs and intentional spiritual development from birth through graduation.
Required Qualifications: All applicants must...
- have a growing relationship with Christ
- have a strong family life (if married)
- have a deep love for students
- have an engaging personality, effective upfront leading a ministry
- be excellent at recruiting and building up leaders within the ministry (both students and adult volunteers)
- have a love for Scripture and be able to communicate the truths of God's word clearly and effectively
- have a heart for reaching students who are doing life without Christ
- be a constant learner and always seeking to grow as a leader
- be a strategic thinker, looking for ways to increase the effectiveness our student ministries
- possess experience in student ministry, with an understanding of how youth ministry needs to be shaped in a church nearing 1000
- be able to communicate effectively with parents
- be tech savvy, and competent with relevant social media
- be a leader and a self-starter, able to plan and execute events and programs with little oversight
- be teachable and able to work in a team environment
- be able to make decisions in a fast-paced environment that is always changing
- be organized and have administrative skills
- have at least a bachelors degree
Desired Qualifications: We prefer that applicants...
- have skills in graphic design
- have skills in video production
Responsibilities: The Youth Minister will oversee all elements of our student ministries, including...
- planning student ministry worship, educational, service, and recreational experiences
- teaching in large group settings
- developing curriculum and/or resourcing leaders with curriculum
- planning and executing retreats, camps and mission trips
- facilitating effective small groups
- recruiting and developing small group leaders
- working with parents
- keeping social media portals active and continually engaging students and families with them
- discipling students, especially looking for ways to engage our students in service
- overseeing ministry teams within the student ministry
- working with interns during the summer
- preparing and managing the youth ministry budget
- develop and oversee policies and procedures for an effective student ministry
- providing counseling to students and their families
- other duties as assigned
This person will also be involved with other ministries as the student ministry is part of the larger body. These include attending certain staff meetings and helping to plan, and participate in churchwide events.
Posted on Mon, April 8, 2013
by A. Butler