Tiger Take-off

LIVE STREAM

NEW STUDENT ORIENTATION, 8/19/23

LIVE STREAM

Dr. Milton Rogers Honored by UK College of Education

Dr. Milton Rogers honored by UK College of Education.

CU Professor Honored as Teacher Who Made a Difference

By Joan C. McKinney, news and publications coordinator

CAMPBELLSVILLE, KY. –Campbellsville University’s Dr. Milton Rogers recently received a surprise and honor.

Rogers, professor of biology at CU, was one of the teachers honored throughout the Commonwealth of Kentucky at the 10th Annual Teachers Who Made a Difference program hosted by the University of Kentucky College of Education.

The program is held to “recognize educators who made a positive impact on the lives of their students,” according to UK president Lee Todd.

The award was given to students who had had teachers at any point in their education who made a difference. Honored teachers came from all states of the United States.

Christy Anderson Martin, who graduated from Campbellsville University in 1991, and who is employed by the UK College of Agriculture Extension Service, said she immediately thought of Rogers when she first heard of the award.

“He is truly a person that has made a lasting impact on my life!” she said.

Martin said Rogers was her advisor and professor at CU. “His kindness and genuineness over those years meant the world to me,” she said. “He was always available to all of his students to give advice or just to listen to our success stories or distresses/concerns.

“I cherish those days that I got to spend with him and the late Dr. Tom Jeffries.”

Martin works in Russell County as the county extension agent for 4-H Youth Development. She has worked for UK since 1999.

She said she has used the knowledge she acquired in her subject matter training of biology and chemistry many times throughout the years, but “more often I have used the life lessons that I acquired from my mentors at CU.”

She said she finds herself “sharing some of those life lessons and philosophies with the youth that I work with today.”

Martin said, “Dr. Rogers always honored his students’ unique qualities and supported the career paths that we chose to take.”

Rogers, who has served as a faculty member at CU 36 years, said, “Over the years it has been a privilege to teach and to get to know students like Christy Anderson Martin, and I was honored that she nominated me to be recognized as a teacher who made a difference.”

“It certainly was a memorable moment when I received the plaque that identifies me as ‘A Teacher Who Made A Difference.’  It is already hanging on the wall in my office.”

Rogers said, “Christy was a wonderful student who always wanted to excel, and it was very thoughtful of her to identify me as someone who made a difference in her life.”

He said, “Teaching at a smaller university like Campbellsville provides an opportunity to become acquainted with your students many of whom eventually become your friends.”

Rogers received his Ph.D. in botany and cell biology in 1972 at the University of Texas at Austin. He received his bachelor of science in 1965 from the University of Texas at Austin in composite science education (biology, chemistry, geology and physics). He has done postdoctoral work at Iowa State University.

He is married to Diane Rogers, former guidance counselor at Taylor County High School; they have three children, Dr. Tom Rogers of Campbellsville, David Rogers of Louisville and Sally Culley of Orlando, Fla. They have seven grandchildren.

Campbellsville University is a private, comprehensive institution located in South Central Kentucky. Founded in 1906, Campbellsville University is affiliated with the Kentucky Baptist Convention and has an enrollment of 2,601 students who represent 93 Kentucky counties, 27 states and 31 foreign nations. Listed in U.S.News & World Report’s 2009 “America’s Best Colleges,” CU is ranked 22nd in “Best Baccalaureate Colleges” in the South for the second consecutive year. CU has been ranked 16 consecutive years with U.S.News & World Report. The university has also been named to America’s Best Christian Colleges®. Campbellsville University is located 82 miles southwest of Lexington, Ky., and 80 miles southeast of Louisville, Ky. Dr. Michael V. Carter is in his tenth year as president.