Political Science (Major, Minor)
Our Mission is to expose students to a diverse set of experiences that will prepare them for a professional career in the private sector or public service. This will be accomplished by providing a well-rounded curriculum representing the various sub-fields of the discipline, interesting and current special topics courses relevant to the current political environment, and opportunities for experiential learning through internships, research and study abroad/study away. When possible, every effort will be made to allow students to develop a customizable degree tailored to their own unique interests and skills.
About the Program
The CU Political Science program is a generalist program of study designed to provide students with the knowledge and skills necessary to follow their calling and become difference-makers in the world. Our curriculum is designed to provide students with the ability to critically evaluate the world in which they live, the tools to effectively engage that world, and the practical experience necessary to be marketable in a competitive political environment.
Our program is built on the ideal that the learning should be more than taking notes or answering multiple choice questions. To build effective leaders, we have developed an integrated program that focuses on practical and authentic assignments, in-class discussions and debates, and focused writing assignments designed to help students develop the communication skills they will need as the pursue careers in the private or public sector.
Students are highly encouraged to build an interdisciplinary curriculum to help them build intellectual connections with other disciplines, and to understand how the political interacts with our broader culture. They are also encouraged to experience politics off of our campus through study abroad, study away or research opportunities.
Students in the program can choose between a 36-hour major and an 21-hour minor with concentrations in American Politics or Global Studies.
- To promote student success and academic excellence through a quality curriculum and positive academic environment.
- To ensure that faculty are committed to equipping students with the knowledge and skills necessary to compete in the local, state, and national job markets.
- To provide a rich learning environment that employs engaging teaching techniques, appropriate technologies, academic support, servant leadership, and diverse learning activities.
- To foster leadership that is reflective, promotes the public good, and maintains high ethical standards.
- To nurture diversity that encourages an understanding of the knowledge, skills, and dispositions necessary to work effectively in a multifaceted society.