Company: Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives
Position: Special Agent
Job Description: The career of an ATF special agent is unique and one of the most challenging in federal law enforcement. Headquartered in Washington, DC, ATF has field offices throughout the United States and its territories. Highly trained special agents are responsible for investigating violations of federal laws relating to firearms, explosives, arson, and alcohol and tobacco diversion. These investigations involve surveillance, interviewing suspects and witnesses, making arrests, obtaining and executing search warrants, and searching for physical evidence.
The profession of special agent is exciting and rewarding. Special agents must be tough both physically and mentally. They must also be able to handle rigorous training, personal risks, irregular hours, and extensive travel. Special agents are subject to reassignment to any ATF office in the United States, to include any U.S. territory or ATF overseas assignment.
Special Agent Responsibilities:
- Investigating criminal violations of Federal laws within the enforcement jurisdiction of the U.S. Department of Justice.
- Conducting investigations of violations relating to explosives, firearms, arson, and alcohol and tobacco diversion.
- Preparing concise criminal investigative case reports.
- Testifying for the Federal government in court or before grand juries.
- Gathering and analyzing evidence through investigative leads, seizures, arrests, execution of search warrants, and a variety of other means.
Please locate our national recruiter by referring to the ATF Recruiters List (by Field Division) for your area.
Questions about becoming an ATF special agent should be directed to: Special Agent / Industry Operations Investigator Staffing Branch at (202) 648-9100.
For More Info about becoming a Special Agent click here. à https://www.atf.gov/careers/becoming-special-agent
For more information on internships for the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, click this link. à https://www.atf.gov/careers/internships