CLERICAL ASSISTANT for Taylor County Schools, Campbellsville KY
RESPONSIBLE TO: Principal and/or Program Supervisor
LENGTH OF WORK YEAR: 181 days (may vary according to position)
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Any combination equivalent to:
- high school diploma, G.E.D. Certificate or demonstrated progress toward obtaining a G.E.D. as required by Kentucky law
- some experience in working with children in an organized setting.
Perform routine typing and general clerical activities in support of a school or District function, including instructional programs, school sites, personnel, mail services, food services and financial services; apply procedures and policies within clearly specified procedures.
Clerical Assistant I incumbents are assigned routine and repetitive general clerical duties requiring no previous experience.
- Perform routine typing and general clerical activities in support of a school or District function, including instructional programs, school sites, personnel, mail services, food services and financial services.
- Type written materials such as letters, memoranda, bulletins or reports from straight copy or rough draft on a typewriter or computer terminal.
- Receive visitors; answer telephone and refer telephone calls and visitors to appropriate personnel; answer routine questions according to established guidelines; schedule meetings and appointments.
- Maintain and update records, inventories, index and cross reference files; maintain inventories of assigned materials, documents and equipment.
- Perform basic arithmetic calculations; receive and process various forms and documents, including financial and statistical documents; conduct general research duties as assigned.
- Receive, sort and distribute incoming and outgoing mail.
- Duplicate items; package and distribute completed correspondence and other materials.
- Assure the timely distribution and receipt of records, report and bulletins as directed.
- Receive shipments of materials; inspect and verify for accuracy of qualify, quantity and type of materials; notify supervisor of discrepancies or damage.
- Perform routine typing of reports from detailed copy; post records; proof completed typing assignments.
- Make telephone calls as directed; take and relay messages.
- Operate a variety of office equipment including typewriter, calculator, copier and other machines pertinent to the assignment.
- Provide work direction to student aides as assigned.
- Collect monies and maintain related financial records as required by the assignment.
KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES:
Modern office practices, procedures and equipment.
- Alphabetical, numerical and subject matter filing systems.
- Correct English usage, grammar, spelling, punctuation and vocabulary.
- Telephone techniques and etiquette.
- Basic math.
- Basic operation of standard office machines, including computer terminals.
- Basic record-keeping techniques.
Perform clerical duties such as filing, duplications, typing and maintaining routine records.
- Operate a copier, typewriter and adding machine.
- Operate a computer terminal and peripheral equipment.
- Learn policies and procedures of assigned program.
- Make arithmetic calculations quickly and accurately.
- Understand and follow oral and written directions.
- Meet schedules and time lines.
- Type at 35 works net per minute from clear copy.
- Work cooperatively with others.
- Communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Experience with Microsoft Office Suite
OTHER JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Be clean, neat and professionally dressed
- Be consistently responsible- maintaining regular punctual attendance and timely completion of assigned duties, working assigned contract and extended days and using sick, personal, and emergency leave appropriately.
- Maintain professional interpersonal skills using tact, patience, courtesy, and cooperative effective relationships with others consistently displaying self-control, honesty, and credibility with parents, students, visitors and school personnel.
- Act as a district liaison demonstrating positive behavior, interest and concern toward the programs, purposes, goals and efficient operation of the Taylor County Public Schools.
- Follow the procurement guidelines and purchase order process.
- Disseminate information/resources in areas of responsibilities.
- Maintain proper care and safe use of district equipment and property.
- Participate in required professional development and trainings as assigned or approved for professional job growth, to remain abreast of program requirements/responsibilities and to improve student educational services.
- Maintain confidentiality and privacy of all school records.
- Is familiar with and incorporates the use of technology as job responsibilities require.
- Adheres with federal, state and district program guidelines, policies, procedures and laws.
- Adheres to the State Professional Code of Ethics.
- Perform other tasks and assume other responsibilities as may be assigned by the supervisor or superintendent.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The Taylor County School District does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, disability, or age in its programs and activities and provides equal access to the Boy Scouts and other designated youth groups. The following persons have been designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination polices: Title IV Coordinator/Section 504 Coordinator, Taylor County Schools, 1209 East Broadway, Campbellsville, KY 42718 (270) 465-5371.