GEAR UP Kentucky is currently hiring for a College and Career Coach at King Middle School in Harrodsburg, KY as well as at Marion County Middle School in Lebanon, KY. (reposted from Aug 5, 2020)- & te sent to all recent grads in those majors
We would love for a recent graduate in education or relevant major (Psychology, Sociology, English, Mathematics, Communication, etc.) to apply for this position. The candidate would need to be available to teach a daily GEAR UP course in the middle school, data entry, advising, etc. The candidate should also have proficient technology skills, and should be very intuitive with using various types of software, as the curriculum may be taught virtually due to COVID-19. This is the perfect service learning opportunity for someone entering the workforce after college, or even a retired teacher/counselor.
Primary working conditions: Works primarily in assigned school building(s) or district(s) with infrequent in-state and out-of-state travel required.
GEAR UP Kentucky (GUK) College & Career Coaches (CCC) serve as advisors to a cohort of GEAR UP students and families in a participating middle school or high school for a period of no less than one school year. Coaches collaborate with school and GUK staff to assist students and their families in making meaningful connections between school, work, and career and college options and pathways. Coaches work with their District Program Manager (DPM) and School Site Teams to deliver a structured curriculum, provide individualized student and family advising and coordinate and implement GUK services and events.
Coaches will have access to multiple professional development and networking opportunities related to the education sector. Some in-state and overnight travel is expected to attend GUK-sponsored trainings, meetings, and conferences. Candidates will complete all required trainings and background checks required by the school district in which they serve.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Instruction & Service Delivery
- Communicate the GUK vision and mission effectively and represent the GUK brand to all stakeholders.
- Collaborate with the GEAR UP school site team to plan, coordinate, and implement activities for cohort students and their families.
- Inform students, families and school staff about the purpose, services and resources available through GUK through student/family orientations and/or participation in school-based events.
- Facilitate delivery of student curricula, advising, and related student and family activities to implement the GEAR UP Kentucky program with fidelity with all active cohorts.
- Recruit and support students to participate in GUK student engagement and leadership program opportunities (e.g., peer mentoring, peer tutoring, Student Ambassadors, etc.)
- Promote, recruit and support cohort students to participate in GUK summer program opportunities; plan and coordinate family orientation sessions for participating students.
- Arrange college campus visits and career-focused field trips for cohort students.
- Communicate postsecondary-related and student success information and resources with family members via text using designated platform.
- Coordinate the administration of student and family surveys.
- Collaborate with students and families to promote college awareness via college campus visits, summer experiences, and other innovative strategies designed to instill a postsecondary-going culture for all students.
- Assist the school (as requested) to meet mandates for each student to complete an Individual Learning Plan (ILP).
- Collaborate with partner agencies to coordinate and support workshops for postsecondary options including: financial aid, college survival skills, college search workshops, vocational training or apprenticeship programs, workforce readiness skills development, and military career opportunities.
- Provide guidance and support to families to develop plans for high school and postsecondary success.
Program and Relationship Management
- Collaborate with school staff and other program partners to fully implement services for GUK students and families and ensure participation is documented for all GUK-sponsored program activities.
- Coordinate the implementation of services according to timelines established by the grant.
- Make recommendations to GUK regional and state administrators to enhance and ensure the efficient and effective operation of the program.
- Evaluate workshop and program activities, including analysis of outcomes and recommendations for improvements, when appropriate.
- Collaborate with district personnel, GUK staff, and other partners in coordinating professional development opportunities for school staff, in alignment with school-based and GUK program goals and initiatives.
Student Monitoring and Advising
- Comply with all data collection and reporting requirements in a timely manner, including student participation data, time and effort logs, student assessment records, media release forms, student/family surveys and other data requests.
- Analyze and interpret student and overall school data.
- Maintain confidentiality and accuracy of all student records.
- Continuously monitor students’ progress and document the provision of resources for enrichments and interventions to students, teachers, and families.
- Conduct career interest assessments to help students identify potential pathways and relevant academic strategies required to reach their career goals.
- Participate in professional development opportunities seminars, conferences, and networking opportunities as assigned.
- Complete other duties (in any area) as assigned.
- A college degree in the area of education, psychology, sociology, guidance counseling, business management, communications, or a closely related field.
- Minimum of three years of professional experience; experience in the area of teaching, guidance counseling, college and career advising, youth development, and/or social work preferred.
SUCCESSFUL APPLICANTS WILL DEMONSTRATE THE FOLLOWING:
- Proficient skills in the use of Microsoft Office Suite programs (i.e., Word, Excel, and PowerPoint); proficient written and oral communication skills.
- Proficiency in human relations and interpersonal skills with a positive, outgoing, and highly motivated personality.
- Skills in problem solving and multi-tasking and ability to negotiate difficult situations between all project stakeholders.
- Strong work ethic and the ability to work independently.
- Ability to achieve project deliverables in a timely fashion.
- Strong presentation skills and the ability to provide training to learners of all ages.
- Ability to plan, organize, and coordinate work assignments.
- Ability to work collaboratively with school administration and staff, as well as program business partners.
GEAR UP Kentucky is an equal opportunity employer.