Guidance Counselor, Taylor County Middle School, Campbellsville, KY
Responsible to: Principal
Qualifications: As set by board and state certification authorities (Master’s Degree or higher with major in Guidance and Counseling)
To direct and coordinate pupil services. To assist all students in overcoming problems that are barriers to learning; and to assist them in the development of skills of personal/social growth, educational planning, and career and vocational planning.
- Assesses, plans, develops and evaluates the guidance program of the school, and communicates the purposes of the Guidance program to students, parents, and staff
- Provides individual and group guidance services pertaining to vocational, educational, conflict resolution, behavior management, personal and social development.
- Directs maintenance of local school permanent record system and helps provide information for the placement and scheduling of students in classes appropriate to their needs. Assists parents and teachers by interpreting permanent record data and providing other available related information
- Maintain student health and other assigned student data in Infinite Campus.
- Complete the registration process on new students and the transfer of records of student withdrawals.
- Assists students in developing an understanding of themselves in relationship to their abilities, interests, achievements and needs
- Provides consultation and referral services to assist parents and students in securing needed services from school and community agencies
- Supervises school wide state testing program. Provide and interpret test results to students, parents, and school staff
- Communicates effectively with students, parents, and colleagues.
- Supervises students and assigned clerical staff.
- Participates in the planning, organization, and implementation of the school/district consolidated plan.
- Participates in the process concerning the placement and referral of students with special education needs (IDEA, gifted, LEP, etc.) Assist classroom teachers by consulting on the special abilities and needs of students, helping to address problems, and helping to plan instructional programs as they relate to student needs
- Consults with parents/guardians on school-student related concerns (attendance, grades, behavior, etc.)
- Helps prepare students for successful transition from grade to grade, school to school and beyond graduation.
- Guide individual and groups of students through the development of educational and career plans.
- Reduce barriers to student learning through direct and indirect services from both school and community sources.
- Promote wellness and healthy lifestyles.
- Work with school and district to develop and implement emergency management plans and practices.
- Teaches or assists teachers in the implementation of guidance curriculum in areas of student need.
- Make parents, students, staff and the community aware of services and programs available.
- Assist in providing placement services by planning with teachers and administrators for the grouping and scheduling of students; helping students make appropriate choices of school programs, extra/co-curricular activities, courses and developing long range plans of study.
- Orient new and returning students into the school environment.
- Work with school staff, parents and outside agencies to provide support and student resources.
- Help coordinate special school functions such as awards programs and other activities.
- Adheres to professional codes of ethics and school board policies and administrative procedures.
- Maintains confidentiality of students and/or staff information.
- Performs other guidance-related activities necessary to the school related needs of the student.
ADDITIONAL HIGH SCHOOL RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provides appropriate materials to students and parents to assist in proper course selection and placement. Assists students in planning their total academic programs
- Supervises Scholarship and College Entrance Testing Program (SAT, PSAT, ACT, PLAN, AP etc.)
- Provide testing preparation resources and programs.
- Provides scholarships and financial aid information to students and parents/guardians.
- Provides recommendations and students assessments to colleges, post-secondary schools and employers
OTHER JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Be clean, neat and professionally dressed.
- Be consistently responsible-maintaining regular punctual attendance and timely completion of assigned duties, working assigned contract and extended days and using sick and personal leave appropriately.
- Maintain professional interpersonal skills using tact, patience, courtesy and cooperative effective relationships with others consistently displaying self-control, honesty and credibility with parents, students, visitors and school personnel.
- Act as a district liaison demonstrating positive behavior, interest and concern toward the programs, purposes, goals and efficient operation of the Taylor County Public Schools.
- Follow the procurement guidelines and purchase order process.
- Disseminate information/resources in areas of responsibilities.
- Supervises and provides performance evaluations for assigned personnel.
- Maintain proper care and safe use of district equipment and property.
- Participate in required professional development and trainings as assigned or approved for professional job growth, to remain abreast of program requirements/responsibilities and to improve student educational services.
- Maintain confidentiality and privacy of all school records.
- Is familiar with and incorporates the use of technology in daily tasks.
- Adheres with federal, state and district program guidelines, policies, procedures and laws.
- Adheres to the State Professional Code of Ethics.
- Performs such other tasks as may, from time to time, be assigned by the Board.
Primary Location: Taylor County Middle School
Salary Range: Per Year
Shift Type: Full-Time
You can begin the application process at the following link: https://taylorcounty.tedk12.com/hire/ViewJob.aspx?JobID=3577