Position title: Human Resources Generalist job
Company Name: W.E. O’Neil Construction
Location of job: Greater Chicago Area
This position will truly be a Human Resources Generalist, as it will involve all major areas of HR – recruiting professional staff, onboarding, implementing our training plan, managing our performance management process, and with some involvement in benefits administration and company policy. We place a very high emphasis on the development and opportunities given to our employees, and enjoy an excellent reputation in our industry. The position will report to the Vice President of Organizational Development and will be in our Chicago office in the West Loop.
- Recruiting – Work with the VP of OD and company executives to identify hiring needs, source candidates, conduct initial interviews, and schedule interviews with executives and our interview team. College recruiting will also be required. The position will extend offers of employment and coordinate the negotiation of offers.
- Onboarding – Help refine and execute our onboarding strategy through orientation, training, and coaching.
- Training – Help develop our annual training plan, coordinate training sessions and work with subject matter experts to prepare and conduct training. Use our LMS system to help managers assign online training plans for individual employees and groups of employees.
- Performance Management – Work with the VP of OD to develop and refine evaluation tools. Schedule and launch our twice-annual performance management discussion process.
- Benefits – Participate in annual benefit renewals and assist our Insurance Manager in the enrollment process in our CMIS system.
- Policy – lead an effort to insure our policies and employee manual are current, legal, and innovative.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
A total of 4 to 6 years’ experience in human resources in multiple functions, with at least two years’ experience in recruiting. Experience in firms with large technical staffs is a plus.
- Familiarity with internet candidate sourcing skills, including familiarity with LinkedIn, Boolean search, and other algorithm-based job boards.
- Superior interpersonal skills, including the ability to deal with people at all levels of the construction industry.
- Thorough working knowledge of labor laws.
- Experience with ADP Workforce Now is not required, but highly desired.
- A Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration/Management with a major in Human Resources or a related field.
- Strong technology skills.
Characteristics and Traits
The successful candidate will be someone who thrives in a dynamic environment that has a work hard, play hard culture. The ability to manage multiple priorities and enjoy a variety of activities will be key to this person’s success. We value a strong work ethic, the ability to deal with tough problems in a collaborative way, strong business ethics, a proactive approach, and a desire to be part of creating the built environment. Our employees are loyal, down-to-earth, and like to win. We try not to take ourselves too seriously, and if we can’t have a few laughs along the way, there’s not much point in doing it. If that sounds like an environment in which you would thrive, please consider applying.