BloodHorse LLC, the Thoroughbred industry’s leading publication, is hiring a Managing Editor based in Lexington, Ky. This position is an exciting opportunity for an individual with organizational strengths and knowledge of the Thoroughbred industry to become a part of our editorial team.
BloodHorse LLC is a dynamic multimedia company that produces the BloodHorse monthly magazine; an industry-leading website at Bloodhorse.com; the newly launched BH+, a web-based subscription section featuring premium content; and BloodHorse Daily, a PDF and mobile news service providing analysis and all-day updates for racing and breeding professionals. BloodHorse also manages a broad range of social media platforms. It publishes a range of other respected Thoroughbred industry-focused publications as well.
The Managing Editor is responsible for the daily operations and activity of editorial organization to ensure timely publication of high-quality content across all publishing platforms, including email alerts and social media. Overall, the Managing Editor prioritizes and assigns work within the newsroom to optimize efficiency and throughput while maintaining content quality.
The Managing Editor assigns writing, editing, proofing, layout, and production activity within the newsroom, coordinates with beat editors (e.g., Bloodstock Editor) as to their assigned articles and columns, and interfaces with Creative Services as necessary relative to print magazine production. The Managing Editor is also responsible for multiple direct reports. In addition, the Managing Editor handles multiple budgets and works with the Editorial Director to keep those budgets in line with company goals.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Keep Editorial Director fully apprised of significant developments relative to the publications and editorial operations
- Handle situations appropriately and with good judgment before escalating to the Editorial Director should the need arise
- Maintain schedules and tracking systems to help keep the newsroom organized and focused; plan forward to the maximum extent possible to smooth workflow
- Direct supervision of newsroom staff, including ad hoc re-assignment of work in the event of staff absences
- Develop a deep understanding of audience based on insights developed by the Editorial Director
- Work with staff to plan and coordinate event coverage of major sales and race days; coordinate content surrounding each major event in cooperation with beat editors and others
- Monitor processes and procedures to assure an efficient editorial workflow
- Make decisions to prioritize news items, as necessary
- Manage digital publication layout and production activity and coordinate with Creative Services on print magazine production as needed
- Maintain oversight of work assignments and schedules of freelancers that can be delegated as appropriate
- Helps to organize, plan, and produce BloodHorse Daily
- Work towards a “one newsroom” concept by eliminating silos between publications wherever possible
- Manage and regularly review direct reports
- Collaborate with Editorial Director to optimize departmental operations and organization structure; identify talented staff members and seek optimal roles for them
- Develop a culture of delegation where supervisors and managers are encouraged and empowered to make decisions themselves to distribute responsibility and keep operations functioning smoothly
- Work to assure newsroom staff are fully cross trained to increase the operational resiliency of the editorial organization
- BA/BS or equivalent experience
- Experience in writing/journalism
- Proficient in Microsoft Office suite and Google Docs/Sheets
- Good time-management skills
- Great interpersonal and communication skills
- Excellent project management skills and ability to communicate effectively with team
- Excellent problem-solving skills and attention to details
- Great multi-taking skills and ability to work under pressure
Preference will be given to those with knowledge of the Thoroughbred breeding, sales, and racing industries.