- Citizen of the United States
- At least twenty-one (21) years of age
- High school graduate or has successfully completed a General Education Development (G.E.D.) examination
- Possess a valid driver’s license to operate a motor vehicle
- Has not been convicted of a felony
- Has not received a dishonorable discharge, bad conduct discharge, or general discharge under other than honorable conditions
- Not prohibited by federal or state law from possessing a firearm
- Not had certification as a peace officer permanently revoked in another state
Must complete Department of Criminal Justice Training (DOCJT) Basic Training Academy within one year of hire date if not already certified. No experience required.
Required License/Registration/Certification: Valid Driver’s License.
Must be able to meet the minimum fitness requirements set forth by the Kentucky Law Enforcement Council Police Officer Professional Standards administered by the Department of Criminal Justice Training. Lifting, pushing, or pulling of objects up to 100 lbs., sitting for long periods of time, walking for long periods of time, standing for long periods of time, and handling intermittent periods of high levels of stress.
Must be able to work on any 10 hour shift:
1st shift – 7:00 am to 5:00 pm
2nd shift – 4:00 pm to 2:00 am
3rd shift – 10:00 pm to 8:00 am
Days, Evenings, Nights, Weekends, Holidays, and mandatory Overtime. Officers must be able to work overtime especially in high volume seasons (university move in, football, basketball, etc.) and change shifts with the needs of the department.
The first two steps of this hiring process are a written test and a physical fitness test. Below is more information about these tests.
- Written Test •
The written test has four sections – math, reading comprehension, grammar, and writing skills. If you are interested in study materials, please visit https://www.applytoserve.com/Study/ for study guides and practice tests to prepare for the National Police Officer Selection Test (POST).
- Physical Fitness Test •
For more information about the Physical Fitness Test and preparation, visit https://klecs.ky.gov/physical-agility-prep.
Deadline to Apply: 05/16/2021