Position: Preserve Internship
Reports to: Preserve Manager
Updated: October 5, 2017
Approved by: Approved by: Vice President Natural and Cultural Resource Management
Shaker Village of Pleasant Hill
Shaker Village of Pleasant Hill (SVPH) is on a mission to inspire generations through DISCOVERY, by sharing the legacies of the Kentucky Shakers. SVPH is committed to bridging historic preservation, land conservation, engaged learning and warm hospitality to present an unrivaled destination experience.
Home to the third largest Shaker community in the United States from 1805 until 1910, SVPH manages the country’s largest private collection of original 19th century buildings and is the largest National Historic Landmark in Kentucky. Onsite amenities include overnight accommodations, dining and catering services, retail shops, event and meeting venues, riverboat rides, historical exhibitions and tours, farm and garden area, nature preserve, multi-use trail system, equestrian stable and an extensive calendar of special programs, activities and events.
The Preserve Department
The Preserve supports the mission of Shaker Village by demonstrating the thoughtful stewardship of our land and natural resources, and by providing a setting for guests to enjoy meaningful recreational opportunities throughout the property.
The Preserve Intern will assist the Preserve staff with care and maintenance trail system, removal of invasive species, and special events. Successful applicants have experience with hand tools and outside work. Preserve interns have communication and problem solving skills, and a positive and friendly attitude. This position is integral to maintain the integrity, health, and high standard of excellence of the preserve as well as a positive guest experience.
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Mark trails with signs or paint blazes
2. Invasive species removal
3. Assist with any other duties that may come up involving the Preserve
4. Role model teamwork and great visitor service
5. Other duties as assigned by management.
Skills and Qualifications
1. Demonstrate strong passion and motivation to learn about the Preserve at Shaker Village
2. Responsible to cover duties as scheduled
3. Pleasant, friendly manner towards visitors and colleagues
4. Ability to work safely and efficiently with a variety of tools and equipment, including some gas powered equipment.
Education and Experience
1. Must be capable of standing for long periods
2. Must be capable of lifting 50 pounds
3. Must have excellent manual dexterity
Working Environment and Conditions
1. Regularly exposed to hot/cold and/or humid conditions (miserable conditions)
2. Frequently exposed to outside weather conditions
3501 Lexington Road, Harrodsburg, KY 40330 Phone: 859-734-5411 shakervillageky.org