Maryhurst in Louisville, KY is hiring for a Full-time Youth Counselor.
Positions available in the East End of Louisville as well as Clifton, Fern Creek and Goldsmith Lane. The Goldsmith Lane location is located directly on a TARC bus line.
“So, what does Maryhurst anyway…?”
At Maryhurst, our residential programs, community-based homes and our outpatient clinical programs all work to serve children in the greatest need. Our residential programs break the cycle of abuse using treatments that restore hope and successfully transition children to more permanent, community or family-based settings. Maryhurst’s community and transitional living programs offer tools that prepare survivors of abuse and neglect for better, more hope-filled futures. And lastly, the team at Maryhurst Renewal partners with children, adults and families who are hurting to find the right combination of support, ultimately clearing barriers to success at home, at school, and in the community. Renewal provides one-on-one, group and family counseling in office, home or school-based settings.
“What does it take to be a Youth Counselor?”
The Youth Counselor is responsible for providing a therapeutic atmosphere within the dorm or group home setting. This is an integral and rewarding role that provides structure, safety and care to severely traumatized children who most often are victims of sexual, physical, and/or emotional abuse. The Youth Counselor will monitor and interact with our kids during meals, while they do their chores and homework, during free time and at bedtime providing a consistent and warm environment that they desperately need. The Youth Counselor may dispense medications as necessary, keep accurate documentation, and attend weekly/monthly meetings. The Youth Counselor functions as a conscientious member of a team in cooperation with other staff members and under the supervision of a Program Supervisor to assist the kids in building positive coping strategies, independent living skills and healthy relationships. The applicant must have the following abilities: to work as a team member; perform basic writing, communications, and computer skills; function as a group leader and role model in relation to troubled youth; respond appropriately to the emotional and physical needs of adolescents within a structured group setting.
“What is required to apply?”
- ALL APPLICANTS MUST BE AT LEAST 20 YEARS OLD.
- All Shifts: Persons applying for these positions must be willing and able to perform “Safe Crisis Management”, a technique used to restrain or transport a resident who has temporarily lost control of their behavior. Maryhurst provides extensive training opportunities for all employees who will have direct contact with the clients.
- The applicant must also possess a valid driver’s license.
- High School Diploma or GED (Bachelor’s degree preferred but not required)
“What days will I work?”
- 2nd shift positions are scheduled from 2:00pm to 12:00am during the week and from either 8:00am – 4:00pm, 10:00 am to 6:00pm or 4:00pm – 12:00am on the weekends
- 3rd shift positions are scheduled from 11:00 pm to 9:00 am
- Currently weekend shifts are required for all Youth Counselors.
*Apply Online: https://www.maryhurst.org/