Position: Collections Volunteer/Intern
Reports to: Collections Manager
Updated: October 5, 2017
Approved by: Vice President Natural and Cultural Resource Management
Shaker Village of Pleasant Hill:
Shaker Village of Pleasant Hill (SVPH) is on a mission to inspire generations through DISCOVERY, by sharing the legacies of the Kentucky Shakers. SVPH is committed to bridging historic preservation, land conservation, engaged learning and warm hospitality to present an unrivaled destination experience.
Home to the third largest Shaker community in the United States from 1805 until 1910, SVPH manages the country’s largest private collection of original 19th century buildings and is the largest National Historic Landmark in Kentucky. Onsite amenities at SVPH include overnight accommodations, dining and catering services, retail shops, event and meeting venues, riverboat rides, historical exhibitions and tours, farm and garden area, nature preserve, multi-use trail system, equestrian stable and an extensive calendar of special programs, activities and events.
The Collections Department:
The Collections Department supports the mission of Shaker Village by thoughtfully preserving the site’s history in order to inspire and inform guests today, and throughout future generations.
Collections Volunteer/Intern Job Summary:
The Collection Volunteer/Intern will assist with the care of Shaker Village’s collection, including historic objects, archives, structures, and features throughout the National Historic Landmark. This position will work with collections staff on projects that support village-wide and department goals.
Responsibilities and Duties:
• Complete projects and perform tasks to assist with collections management and research, including
o Improve registry/database
o track movement of collection items
o transcribe primary sources
o assist staff with research for marketing, program, and exhibition development
• Observe and follow best practices with all Shaker Village holdings.
• Assist in exhibition research, design, production, and installation, as directed by Collections Manager.
• Support special events as needed
• During internships, specific duties will be assigned in line with student’s educational requirements and goals.
Skills and Qualifications:
• Must be able to work with minimal supervision and be willing to learn new skills.
• A positive attitude, flexible approach, strong problem solving skills, and commitment to achieving the goals of Shaker Village are essential.
• Ability to work in a team structure.
• Ability to perform physically demanding work.
• Must be able to work a variable work schedule, which includes work on weekends and holidays.
Education and Experience:
• Internship candidates must be currently enrolled in a program studying History, Public History, Museum Studies, or comparable field, in which they are learning about the professional practice of historical or museum work.
Mental and Physical Requirements:
• Ability to stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl; talk or hear and taste or smell.
• Frequently required to stand and walk; occasionally sit and climb or balance.
• Specific vision ability required by this job includes close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
• Regularly lift and/or move up to 25 lbs. and lift and/or move heavier loads as needed.
Working Environment and Conditions:
• Potentially exposed to wet and/or humid conditions.
• Potentially exposed to outside weather conditions.
• Noise level is usually moderate.
• This position may require working occasional weekends and some evenings as needed.
3501 Lexington Road, Harrodsburg, KY 40330 Phone: 859-734-5411 shakervillageky.org