Position: Copy Editor/Paginator
Company: The News-Enterprise
Job Location: Elizabethtown, KY
- Two years of practical journalism experience preferred, including copy editing, design and pagination
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
- Proven ability to act decisively and accurately in a fast-paced team work environment that requires handling of multiple tasks
- Proficient in using InDesign, Adobe Photoshop and other computer programs essential for production of daily newspaper
- Proficient in using computers and Internet applications
- Ability to develop designs, approaches and techniques to attract infrequent readers
- Possess creative flair and be in touch with needs and interests of a diverse readership
- Possess strong communication, organization and time management skills and ability to meet deadlines
- Must have strong initiative and be adaptable
- Familiarity with AP Stylebook and demonstrated knowledge of grammar and spelling
- Working knowledge and understanding of Hardin County is a plus
- Ability to work primarily evening hours and frequent weekend shifts
- Packages stories and uses graphics and/or photos to make it easier for readers to navigate through the newspaper.
- Design multiple pages effectively in deadline situation using InDesign.
- Process photographs for print and online display using Adobe Photoshop.
- Summarize stories in compelling, informative and accurate headlines that entice and interest readers.
- Serve as a “captain” for some special sections throughout the year, aiding in planning and leading production.
- Work with reporters and photographers in absence of their team leader at night and on weekends.
- Monitor wire services for best state, national and international stories.
- Help maintain online content for ~~~
- Use research and resources effectively to supplement stories.
- Demonstrate understanding and commitment to serving readers.
- Participate in Copy Desk Team meetings and decisions as well as full departmental meetings.
- Represent team in news budget meeting and similar planning sessions.
: Flexible scheduling based on a 42-hour week that primarily requires evening hours and frequently involves weekend shifts.