Family Support Specialist I, Commonwealth of Kentucky, Location Varies
- Position Closes : 7/7/2022 (8:00 PM EDT)
- Salary : $29,129.28
- Employment Type : Executive Branch, Full-Time, Eligible for overtime pay, 18A, 37.5 hr/wk
- Hiring Agency : Cabinet for Health & Family Services, Dept for Community Based Services
- Location : Location Varies
We are hiring multiple positions with The Lakes Service Region. Assigned county can be within McCracken, Graves, Marshall, Calloway, Ballard, Carlisle, Fulton, Hickman, Christian, Hopkins, Livingston, Crittenden, Caldwell, Lyon, Trigg, Todd, and Muhlenburg depending on availability. The agency may authorize the selected candidate to telecommute.
The candidate may need to report to the office as needed. The agency may terminate or modify the telecommuting arrangement at any time. We encourage applicants from all counties to apply as this position is approved for telecommuting.
The Kentucky Department for Community Based Services (DCBS) is a multi-faceted agency that provides services and programs to enhance the self-sufficiency of families; improve safety and permanency for children and vulnerable adults; and, engage families and community partners in a collaborative decision-making process.
DCBS seeks a Family Support Specialist who is driven to succeed in helping people and the vulnerable population. With professionalism and integrity, our agency offers public assistance. The Family Support Specialist will utilize the formal training provided to make eligibility determinations for various public assistance programs. The employee is expected to perform at the highest quality to ensure services to vulnerable citizens. This is a demanding position that requires maturity and self-discipline. Flexible work schedules, shift premiums are available.
For more information on the Department for Community Based Services, please visit our website at:
Career growth is encouraged through training and mentoring. Benefits include health and life insurance, flexible work schedules, paid sick and vacation leave, and retirement benefits.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Interviews clients, in person and/or via phone, for Basic Public Assistance programs.
- Gathers, completes and reviews required documentation needed.
- Participates in formal and on the job training and observing other staff.
- Tracks processing deadlines for timely case activity and case hearings.
- Learns to Identify resources and appropriate referrals.
- Learns to operate computer terminals and personal computers, prepares and maintains case records.
- Enters case information into the computer.
The ideal candidate will have:
- Good customer service skills
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Good time management and organizational skills
- The ability to work well under pressure
- A willingness to work as part of a team
The position you are applying for has access to or use of federal tax information (FTI). Based on IRS Publication 1075 and 900 KAR 1:009, each prospective employee of the Cabinet for Health and Family Services (CHFS), including contract staff, with access to or use of federal tax information (FTI) shall submit to a criminal background investigation by means of a fingerprint check by the Department of Kentucky State Police and the Federal Bureau of Investigation.
CHFS also participates in E-Verify and will provide the federal government with your Form I-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in U.S. CHFS will only use E-Verify once you have accepted a job offer and completed the Form I-9. For more information on E-Verify, or if you believe that CHFS has violated its E-Verify responsibilities, please contact Department of Homeland Security (DHS) at 888-897-7781 or https://dhs.gov/e-verify.
- EDUCATION: Must complete two years (54 semester hours) from a college or university.
- EXPERIENCE, TRAINING, OR SKILLS: NONE
- Substitute EDUCATION for EXPERIENCE: NONE
- Substitute EXPERIENCE for EDUCATION: Administrative work, clerical office work, work dealing directly with the public , or experience in reviewing, monitoring, determining eligibility for, and/or administering Food Stamps, the Kentucky Transitional Assistance Program, Medical Assistance, Child Support, or other public assistance programs will substitute for the required college on a year-for-year basis.
- SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS (AGE, LICENSURE, REGULATION, ETC.): NONE
Working Conditions: Performs job duties in an office setting and/or visits clients in homes.
Probationary Period: This job has an initial and promotional probationary period of 6 months, except as provided in KRS 18A.111.
If you have questions about this advertisement, please contact Rhonda Strader at Rhonda.Strader@ky.gov.
You can begin the application process at the following link: Family Support Specialist I (csod.com)