Institution: New Jersey City University
Location: Jersey City, NJ
Category: Admin – Academic Advising
Application Due: 05/14/2018
Type: Full Time
POSITION: PROFESSIONAL SERVICES SPECIALIST IV
LOCATION: ART DEPARTMENT
Reporting to the Art Department Chair, the Advisor performs an array of advisement and administrative assistance activities in support of the department and the academic success of each student.The Art Department at New Jersey City University, seeks a full time individual.
- Liaison for all programs offered by the Art Department.
- Knowledge of University, College, and Department policies and procedures.
- Provide prompt and accurate information about the department, its programs, and services and directions to campus support offices through all forms of inquiries (phone, written, in-person, etc.)
- Provide program and degree advisement to Art students, transfer students to the Art Department, as well as prospective students through independent council and through coordination with university and Art faculty advisors.
- Assist in the implementation of the advising and registration of transfer students.
- Respond to enrollments requests, pre-registration problems, class capacity, and overload requests; coordinate course enrollment with faculty and/or university advisors.
- Prepare and maintain student advisement and enrollment records and update them each semester in the EAB or other advisement systems.
- Ensure that students’ degree programs are properly declared and tracked.
- Prepare initial graduation clearance reports and review applications.
- Monitor degree maps of all specialized programs and track student enrollment patterns.
- Assist with course scheduling and monitor enrollment, particularly across stacked courses.
- Connect students to campus support services.
- Assist students with making a successful transition to NJCU.
- Work with the faculty to create programming for students that ensures smooth and timely progress toward graduation.
- Conduct weekly to bi-weekly meetings with at-risk advisees and assist faculty advisors in creating a contract regarding goals and purpose of education.
- Participate in professional development and training activities.
- Provide administrative support to all Art programs.
- Attend faculty meetings and record and manage the archive of minutes and decisions.
- Assist in data collection and university reporting requests every semester.
- Assist with the NASAD annual H.E.A.D.S report.
- Work with key on-campus NJCU individuals and/or offices to assist with managing services to the Art Department and its students (co-op, financial aid, university advisement center, registrar, Dean’s office, FCM, Housekeeping, etc.) as required.
- Assist with the contact, hiring, and orientation for adjunct faculty.
- Assist with the department representation at Open House or other information session events.
- Participate in department marketing activities to promote recruitment of students.
- Monitor department and university publications for accuracy; report anomalies or problems.
- Coordinate all department office operations including clerical work, internal reporting systems, scheduling appointments, etc.
- Supervise student assistants as necessary.
- Assist in preparation of letters in response to requests for adjunct employment.
- Assist in preparation of memos regarding all aspects of department oversight.
- Acquire an understanding of regional community college academic programs as they relate to the transfer to New Jersey City University and the Art Department.
- Prepare clear technically sound, accurate and informative reports containing findings, conclusions, and recommendations.
- Bachelor’s degree, or conferring of Bachelor’s degree within one year of job posting required
- Experience working in higher education required
- Strong technological expertise with office systems and software including Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Access)
- PeopleSoft and Adobe and/or other graphics software experience a plus
- Evidence of oral and written communication skills
- Must be able to work independently
- Evidence of strong interpersonal and organizational skills
- Evidence of progressive and innovative thinking
- Must be dynamic and student-centered
- Strong sense of initiative and motivation; goal-directed with good problem solving abilities
- Ability to work effectively with faculty, staff, students, and external departments on- and off-campus
- Commitment to diversity among faculty, staff, and student body
CUT-OFF DATE FOR FILING APPLICATIONS: Monday, May 14, 2018
New Jersey City University
2039 Kennedy Boulevard
Jersey City, NJ 07305
Online App. Form:
An Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity Employer, the University especially welcomes and encourages applications from women and minority candidates.