The mission of The Office of Campus Safety and Security is to promote a safe and secure living, learning and working environment for our students, faculty, and staff in a diverse campus community setting. The emphasis is to keep our students and campus community safe and secure by means of a community-friendly approach that enhances safety through the visibility of security personnel, preventive patrols, 24-hour accessibility, positive conflict resolution, and crime prevention and awareness programs. The Office of Campus Security collaborates with local law enforcement and community organizations in fulfilling its mission. We also work with City, County and State Law Enforcement Officials on student safety. The safety of every person that uses Campbellsville University Campus is a concern of the Safety and Security Office.
Contacting Campus Safety:
Campus Safety and Security Officers can be reached 24hrs a day by calling 789.5555 or 403.3611. If you think you see criminal activity but do not know for sure call campus safety and let them determine if police need to be called.
The Safety Security officers are to secure all buildings on campus, patrol campus grounds, and respond to calls on campus. Officers will enforce all City, State, and Federal laws. Our department works closely with all local police agencies. Officers can assist you in jump starting your vehicle and provide you with local resources to unlock your car in case of a lock out. Security officers are to keep residence hall doors secure and will admit students into dorms with proper identification only. Through camera surveillance, officers are able to monitor multiple areas throughout campus and review any unlawful acts. All officers have direct contact with Campbellsville Emergency Services by two-way radios through our local 911 Dispatch Center .
Other Phone Numbers to Remember:
| Campus Safety || ext. 270-789-5555|| 270-403-3611|
| Campbellsville Police|| || 270-465-4122|
| Sheriff Department || || 270-465-4351|
| Fire Department|| || 270-465-4231|
| Rescue|| || 270-789-3135|
| Emergency|| || 911|
The Department of Safety and Security is located at the front entrance of the University, in the Student Services Building. This building houses the office of the Director of Campus Safety as well as the Dean of Student Services, The Director of Residence Life, and the Campus Nurse.
Crime prevention is a top priority of the Safety Security Officers. Every effort is made to help everyone avoid being a crime victim. Every student will receive a handbook when they register that has in it , parking lot safety, safety tips, security of personal property, sexual harassment and alcohol/ drug awareness. A pamphlet entitled " Campus Safety a personal concern" is also handed out to each student.
The Office of Safety and Security would like to give you some suggestions for reducing the opportunity for crime to occur. Crime reduction on campus requires the continued active support of the University community. The following are some crime prevention tips that will help us achieve this goal.
How to prevent crime
- Always lock your door. Be sure your vehicle and or your dorm room is secure. It only takes a burglar 40 seconds to steal something.
- Don't flaunt your valuables. Avoid leaving valuables in your vehicle. Keep them out of plain view by locking them in your trunk. Thieves usually will not break into a vehicle unless they can see something of value inside.
- Identify valuable property. Engrave your social security number on valuables. Keep a list of serial numbers, model numbers, brand, color, and identifying marks.
- Report unusual situations. If you think something is wrong or just does not look right, Call the campus security office at 403.3611 and let them determine if it's necessary to investigate.
- Watch where you leave things. Your belongings may not be there when you return.
- Be prepared to defend yourself. Carry your keys in your hand if walking alone to and from your car. If you are attacked you have them as a weapon. Always check the back seat and floorboards as you approach your car.
- Carry a whistle. It could save your life.
- Determine safe well lighted routes. Don't take short cuts if it is not well lighted.
- Always let someone know your plans. Let someone (roommate or friend) know where you are or going, This keep your friends from panicking for no reason.
- Shout for help. If you are ever attacked or are running from an attacker shout and keep shouting until someone hears you: call out a male friend's name as if he is just in front of you.
- Locate all emergency phones. Emergency phones are located at the front of each residence halls.
Parking Lot Safety:
The main goal of the Campbellsville University Safety/Security Office is to ensure the safety of each individual while on the University’s campus. In order to help provide for your safety, we ask that everyone follow precautions while on campus:
- Keep security phone # (270-789-5555 or cell 270-403-3611 ) with you at all times.
- If you are out late and do not feel comfortable walking to your residence hall or class alone, you should call the on-duty security officer to escort you.
- If you notice suspicious looking strangers on campus, notify the security office immediately.
- When walking to your car, have your keys in your hand ready to unlock your car door.
- Check both the front and back seats of your vehicle and underneath your car before getting into your car.
- Lock your doors and roll up your windows as soon as you get in the car.
“CU ALERTS” Emergency Mass Notification System
Campbellsville University offers this free service to all students, faculty and staff. CU Alerts is the campus emergency alert system that sends out important information that could be vital in keeping our campus community safe. Messages include severe weather information such as tornado warnings for Taylor County, campus lock down procedures or snow schedules.
Other Important Information:
- Campus Crime Statistics can be found here
- As a requirement of the Campus Sex Crimes Prevention Act you can obtain information about registered sex offenders in general here
Director of Safety and Security
1 University Dr. UPO 788
Campbellsville KY, 42718