Clinical or medical technologists deal with the analysis of specimens that are critical to the diagnosis and treatment of diseases.
They perform a variety of physical, chemical and microscopic analyses of body fluids and tissues using microscopes, chemicals, computers and complex laboratory equipment. Two types of educational programs are available in Kentucky. Accredited four year programs include clinical instruction in their curricula. Three-plus-one programs involve three years of preprofessional education at a university followed by completion of a one year medical technology program at a hospital or medical center. Students completing both programs earn a bachelors degree. Admission into a hospital medical technology program is very competitive and completion of the pre-professional program does not guarantee acceptance.
Campbellsville University has a three-plus-one agreement with Owensboro Medical Health System. Students interested in medical technology major in biology with a minor in chemistry. The prerequisites for medical technology are completed during the first three years of study. During the fourth year (a full 12 months), students take courses at the Owensboro Medical Health System. After successful completion of this program, the student receives a B.S. degree from Campbellsville University and a Certificate of Medical Technology form the school of medical technology that they attended. Once the degree has been completed, the student may take the Registry of Medical Technologists and become certified by the American Society of Clinical Pathologists.
Requirements for Bachelor of Science in Medical Technology
- Student must complete the following academic requirements:
- Complete the required course of study with a minimum 2.50 grade point average.
- Must fulfill all general education requirements for baccalaureate graduation.
- Must complete the science and math courses outlined in course sequence.
- Successfully complete the course requirements at an approved medical technology school (The University has official affiliation with Owensboro Medical Health System in Owensboro, Kentucky).
- After completion of the above requirements the student will be granted a B.S. in Med. Tech. degree from Campbellsville University after proper application has been made.
- The time limit between the end of the academic work at Campbellsville University and application for the B.S. degree is four years.
Medical Technology Degrees
Careers in Medical Technology
- Cardiovascular Technologist
- Dental Lab Technician
- Clinical Lab Scientist
- Medical Lab Technician
- Laboratory Technician
- Military Scientist
- Diagnostic Medical Sonographer
- Medical Appliance Technician
- Nuclear Medicine Technologist
- Pharmacy Technician