Applications Accepted By:
Subject Line: Resident Director
Attention: Terry VanMeter
Director of Human Resources
1 University Drive UPO 940
Campbellsville, KY 42718
The Resident Director position at Campbellsville University is a live-in position in the residence hall. The Resident Director has year round daily responsibility for administration and management of the residence hall and is charged with the welfare of its residents. The director is accountable to the Director of Residence Life. He also works under the stated supervision of his Area Coordinator.
· A bachelor’s degree in student development, counseling, religious education or a related field. In some cases, experience may be considered in lieu of a degree.
· Previous student life experience in some areas is essential as is a mature Christian faith, which can be communicated through words and actions.
· Serve as a positive Christian role model.
· Provide leadership for students in resident halls.
· Facilitate relationships with individuals and groups.
· Supervise student resident assistant (RA) staff.
· Assist in implementation of programs and administrative duties related to residence life.
· Assist in implementation of the total student development program through specific assignments determined by the Office of Student Services.
· Manage your building in relation to: maintenance, housekeeping, security and safety.
· Supervise and support Resident Assistants (RAs).
· Communicate, interpret, and enforce residence hall policies.
· Provide structured opportunities for resident’s personal growth through programming, group and individual meetings and consultation.
· Role modeling.
· Hold residents accountable for their actions.
· Assist residents in defining their value system.
· Aid residents in their personal growth toward self-direction and interdependence.
· Help residents resolve or cope with the personal and academic difficulties.
· Effectively deal with emergencies through crisis management.
Administrative and Operation:
· Assist in new student orientation.
· Be responsible for checking students in and out of residence halls (beginning, during and end of semester).
· Understand institutional policies and procedures and interpret them clearly to staff and students.
· Cooperate with housekeeping and maintenance in keeping the residence hall sanitary and functional.
· Assume responsibility for safety procedures being followed in the dorm and cooperate with Campus Safety personnel.
· Supervise residence hall security during vacation periods.
· Use appropriate forms for communication and documentation of events to designated university faculty, staff and students.
· Keep residence hall key inventory up-to-date.
· Administer sign-up for residence hall room reservations and complete room assignments.
· Set and keep regular hours at the Office of Student Services/Residence Life.
o Manage residence halls in cooperation with the Director of Conferences/Camps.
o Supervise student RA living in building.
o Assist with New Student Orientations
Staff Supervision and Support:
· Be available for consultation with RA’s and resident students.
· Assist in RA orientation and in-service trainings.
· Participate in RA selection and evaluations.
· Attend staff meetings with Director of Residence Life.
· Conduct weekly RA meetings to discuss pertinent information and keep abreast of activities in dorm.
· Hold individual conferences with each student staff member to discuss the development of the staff member as well as areas he/she may want to discuss.
· Keep the Student Service staff advised of counseling contacts and referrals.
· Communicate residence hall and student concerns to the Office Student Services.
· Educate student staff in:
o Ways to be sensitive to student needs and behaviors;
o Methods of handling one-to-one relationships and recognizing their personal limitations.
· Be responsible for student staff knowledge, interpretation and enforcement of resident hall policies.
Campbellsville University, a comprehensive Christian institution offering undergraduate (associate and baccalaureate) and graduate (master's level) programs, stresses academic excellence solidly grounded in the liberal arts, personal growth, integrity, and fellowship within a caring environment. Affiliated with the Kentucky Baptist Convention, Campbellsville University is centrally located in the heart of Kentucky and has been listed in US News and World Report as one of “America’s Best Colleges” for 18 consecutive years. The University seeks to prepare students to enrich their own lives through lifelong learning, to contribute to their respective disciplines through continued scholarship, and to advance society as Christian servant leaders. An employee of Campbellsville University is expected to participate in the life of a local church in keeping with the spirit of the institutional mission statement and core values. The individual employee is expected to conduct him, or herself, both on campus and off, in a manner becoming an employee of a Christian institution, and the employee should uphold the highest standards of conduct in terms of honesty, truthfulness, respectful attitude, and conduct toward others. Each individual associated with Campbellsville University is to perform his or her daily responsibilities mindful of the intent of the institutional mission statement and core values.