Graduate Admissions Requirements
Graduate Program Criteria
- Possession of a bachelor’s degree in music, or permission from the Graduate Music Admissions Committee.
- Submission of two letters of recommendation including one from an individual who can speak to the applicant’s academic and/or professional capabilities or potential.
- Submission of official transcripts of all college work from accredited institutions (both undergraduate and graduate) confirming a minimum GPA 2.75 on a 4.0 scale overall, including professional education courses, if applicable, and in the applicant’s undergraduate major or academic emphasis.
- Submission of an essay which discusses the applicant’s interest in and commitment to graduate study.
- Presentation of an audition. Live auditions are preferred; recordings of recent live performances are accepted with prior arrangement.
- All applicants must pass an entrance examination in music theory and music history and literature, and take appropriate steps to remediate any deficiencies.
- International students must show proficiency in English as a Second Language either through the TOEFL Exam (Test of English as a Foreign Language) or by completing the English as a Second Language (ESL) program at Campbellsville University. The minimum acceptable score on the TOEFL is 550 for the paper-based exam or 213 on the computer-based exam.
- MAM Musicology: Applicants must demonstrate a reading ability in either French or German. This may be satisfied by taking first-year French or German at the undergraduate level with a grade of B or higher.
- MM Music Education: Applicants must submit passing PRAXIS scores, a copy of teaching certificate, and a disposition form (provided by School of Education).
International Admission Criteria
International Students: In addition to the above admissions criteria, international students must also:
- Submit transcripts to World Education Services for evaluation and translation.
- Take and pass the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). Minimum score of 550 on the paper-based exam; 79-80 on the internet-based exam.
All application forms required for international students are available through the Center for International Education.