LOVE HELPING PEOPLE?
SO DO WE.
LEARN TAXES ON YOUR TIME.
Register for classes today! Flexible class schedules available.
• Multiple ways to learn
• Knowledgeable instructors
• Potential to earn continuing education (CE) credit with successful completion of the course
Jackson Hewitt® can help you start a rewarding career.
Call or go the website: 800.234.1040 • jacksonhewitt.com
Dear Prospective Student:
Thank you for inquiring about Jackson Hewitt Tax School and in the open positions that we may have this upcoming tax season!
Becoming a Jackson Hewitt Tax Preparer is a three-step process:
1. Successfully complete the Basic Tax Preparation Course (BTP) or pass the Tax School Aptitude Test (TSAT) which is based on 2016 tax law. The Basic Tax Preparation Course tuition is FREE. This online course allows you to work at your own pace, but still have the support of a knowledgeable instructor with real tax preparation experience ready and eager to help you learn. All of the materials that you will need to complete the course are conveniently available online.
The Basic Tax Preparation Course is a comprehensive course consisting of 26 sessions and should take between 50 to 70 hours to complete, not including lab time or homework. Completion of the course is not a guarantee or offer of employment; however, students who successfully complete the course will be invited to apply for any open positions that we may have in January. Please see enclosed description for further information.
For those with tax preparation experience we offer the TSAT. This is based on 2016 tax year law and must be taken in a JH office.
2. Obtain a PTIN (preparer tax identification number) issued directly by the IRS. The cost for this is $50.00, which will be reimbursed once you are employed and complete the entire tax season (Jan. 1 – April 18).
3. Complete the hiring process, which includes a background check and attending START training in December in Danville. (This training is about 4 hours and is paid).
To register for class just complete the enclosed Enrollment Agreement and return it us at the above address. You may also fax it to us at (859) 238-9766 or email it to email@example.com.
Now that you’ve taken that first step in expressing interest in our course, take the next step and register today!
We look forward to talking with you soon. Please feel free to give us a call if you have any questions or need further information.
Basic Tax Preparation Course – Description
Whether you’re brand new to the tax preparation industry or a seasoned tax pro looking to enhance your tax knowledge – Jackson Hewitt can help you!
Enroll today and be one step closer to working with a support system of over 20,000 Tax Pros. Our experienced instructors will guide you every step of the way.
After completing the Basic Tax Preparation course, you’ll have the skills and knowledge necessary to prepare individual income tax returns — you may even be able to supplement your income by working as a Jackson Hewitt tax preparer during tax season!*
This course covers basic tax concepts that enable you to complete Form 1040 and related documents. Whether you want to become a paid tax preparer or just learn more about preparing your own federal individual income tax return, our Basic Tax Preparation course will provide you with the knowledge to help you accomplish your goals.
There are 26 sessions in the course, including a Mid-course Review/Exam and a Final Review/Exam. Both Exams will need to be completed in a JH office. These sessions include the following components designed to help you reinforce, validate, and better retain your newly-acquired knowledge:
Step-by-step illustrations that walk you through how to complete specific IRS forms and worksheets
Knowledge check exercises to help you determine how well you have grasped the content covered in the session
Homework exercises that provide you with the opportunity to apply your knowledge and help you reinforce each session’s content
In addition, the Jackson Hewitt Basic Tax Preparation course is recognized for up to 3.5 credits with The University of Phoenix®*. For more information about the process of credit transfer, go to The University of Phoenix Website or contact us.
* University of Phoenix® is a registered trademark of Apollo Group, Inc., in the United States and/or other countries. Jackson Hewitt does not automatically register hours with UOP. Students will need to contact UOP to request evaluation of credit. Additional fees may apply from The University of Phoenix®.
Topics in the Basic Tax Preparation course include:
• Filing requirements and filing status
• Exemptions and dependents
• Employee compensation
• Credits, such as the Earned Income Tax Credit, Child Tax Credit, Child and Dependent Care Credit, Education Credits, and Saver’s Credit; and related tax preparer due diligence
• Standard deduction and itemized deductions
• Various types of income, such as interest, dividends, taxable state refunds, alimony, retirement distributions, unemployment compensation, Social Security benefits, and other income
• Basis and depreciation
• Capital gains and losses
• Residential rental property
• Adjustments to income, such as moving expenses, the IRA deduction, and education benefits
• Tax from the Tax Table and other taxes
• Affordable Care Act (ACA)
• Filing a return, including electronic filing, refund and payment options, estimated tax payments, extensions, and amended returns
• Practices, procedures, and ethics
2017 Tax School
PO Box 2105
Danville, KY 40423
(859) 238-7469 Fax: (859) 238-9766
Name: Kimberly A Caswell
Address: 211 old veechdale rd
City: Simsonville State: Kentucky Zip: 40067
PHONE: ❏ HOME_________________ ❏ CELL5023877443 ❏ OTHER_________________
The Basic Tax Preparation Course (BTP) is a 12 week course (50 hours) that begins the week of September 11, 2017. Please indicate your course selection:
Selection Course # Name Location Time Frame
Yes DAB500 BTP Course – Online Self – Paced online. Must be completed by 12/09/2017 to be considered for employment
DAB550 TSAT-Tax School Aptitude Test Circle Location: Campbellsville Danville Lebanon Russell Springs Versailles Test can only be taken in a JH office. You will be contacted to set up an appointment to take the test.
Certificate of Completion
You will receive a Certificate of Completion if you maintain a minimum attendance rate of 70 % and an average minimum grade of 70 %.
Other Tax Return Preparers (OTRP)
If at the time of your enrollment you are an OTRP – Other Tax Return Preparer (i.e., individual with a valid PTIN who is not an Enrolled Agent), you will earn 10 Continuing Education (CE) credits by completing the Basic Tax Preparation Course and achieving an average minimum grade of 70%, in satisfaction of the federal tax portion of the annual Internal Revenue Service (IRS) continuing education requirement.
Note: you must have a valid PTIN at time of registration to be eligible for the 10 CE’s.
Please provide PTIN to ensure credit for course. PTIN DAB500