MSW Field Practicum
MSW foundation and advanced level field practicum is a 450-hour internship. A student will demonstrate social work skills and behaviors in a practicum placement as well as participate in a set of two sequential 16-week courses. In the courses, students illustrate through written assignments the progression of their learning by integrating practicum activities and the 9 social work core competencies. Here is an overview of the MSW field practicum(s):
Internship and Course
- A 450-hour internship with specific learning contract activities focused on social work core competencies
- Students are expected to practice social work skills and behaviors at a Field Agency approximately 15 hours per week
- The internship is taken over the span of two 16-week graduate terms or 32 academic weeks
- Students are placed at a Field Agency meeting the qualifications by the Council on Social Work Education
- Students practice under the supervision of an MSW Field Supervisor employed by a Field Agency
- Students create a learning contract of activities and practice social work skills and behaviors throughout the two 16-week courses
- The courses focus on logs and written assignments illustrating mastery of the social work competencies
- Students are guided by a faculty field liaison/instructor throughout the field courses
- MSW Field Supervisor evaluates the student on the level of progress and proficiency of demonstrated skills and behaviors
Instructions for Intern Placement Tracking System (IPT)
The IPT tracks all students in field placement and allows the Carver School field education office and agencies to communicate easily with each other and with student participants.
- The Carver School Organization ID is cssw
- All field instructors and students will be supplied a unique User Name and Password before they can log in; this will be sent by the field team.
NASW Student Membership and Liability Insurance
Ensure you have purchased NASW Membership and Insurance 30 days before your field placement begins. You will upload these documents in the first week of your field course.